Name:
Location: Arizona

Monday, September 12, 2005

Nothing that is vast enters into the life of mortals without a curse. Sophocles


Some artists are totally analytical, Sol Lewitt comes to mind. I don't see any emotion or intuition there. It is almost pure geometry, very rational (what ever that means). It would be impossible for me to do art like his. I divide the world of artist into at least 2 categories. Analytical and expressionistic, linear and nonlinear, rational and irrational. Notice how mostly we define the opposite with a form of the original word. Is the original word the one that is" not" the other one or is it the one that is i.e. is the word irrational the concept and we subtract the ir to get the opposite. It is like man and woman. Which is it?. Getting back to the 2 types of artists, naturally it is a matter of degree and the amount of linear/non linear influence an artist has at any given time is mutable. I am perfectly balanced as an artist. The rich irony here is that I am not balanced in my non art life and that somehow allows me to be balanced in my art life. Or as Jakob Böhem so elegantly said, "Now mark what I say. The Right Eye looketh forward in thee into Eternity. The Left Eye looketh backward into Time. If thou now sufferest thyself to be always looking into Nature, and the Things of Time, it will be impossible for thee ever to arrive at the Unity which thou wishest for". Works for me.

I like what anonymous 1 said about dreams yesterday. Dreams work. I have been trying to design a new painting that I want to call, "Bi Polar" in celebration of that most noble affliction and I meditated on it before sleeping and sometime during the nightI was "told" how to paint it. It was like a lightening flash of insight.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Words convey meaning. That's the simplistic view. Words often convey a different meaning from the meaning intended by the writer or the speaker. What happens often in pop music and in selection of titles for art or literature is the intentional ambiguity of certain combinations of words.

Looking into whether prefixes came before the root word has to involve a lot of background on languages. Anyway, it's fun to play, and I thing oxymorons are a good example, the best being "military intelligence".

I ran into lots of strange terminology while doing the scientific thesaurus. There were terms like "love waves" which have nothing to do with people, but appropriately enough are a phenomenon associated with earthquakes. The term is very accurate and meaningful to the scientist who uses it, but to the rest of us it conveys other meanings.

My favorite is W.T. Pooh's riddle about "Cottleston Pie" where he wonders why "a fly can't bird, but a bird can fly".

Geode

7:08 AM  
Blogger Anne Coe said...

Geode, your comments are smarted and more interesting than my blog entries. You should have a blog and I should be a mere handmaiden to your wisdom. So how does, "Love waves" make sense to a earthquakeologist?

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I try to apply colors like words that shape poems, like notes that shape music.
Joan Miro

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home