Name:
Location: Arizona

Thursday, June 15, 2006

The ancients judged their gods on their effectiveness.** I think that is a good idea. Is your god effective? If not fire him and get another one just like your ancestors did. What do you want in a god? Grace, manna, interpersonal interaction or a really angry belligerent one who is the Boss with a capital B? Totalitarian gods are quite popular now. I think my god is effective but then again I am not opposed to borrowing someone else god occasionally if it seems appropriate. I figure manna is good and if some other god gives better manna especially when I am in that god's territory then all the better. My god understands that and actually encourages it. Naturally, this doesn't work if you have a jealous god like the Israelites did. That was very problematic for them. The Hindu's pretty much fired their gods and hired religious teachers who are considered higher than the gods they fired. Apparently if you fire them they are still around. Sort of like our corporate CEO's. I wonder if some of them are in prison?


** Data from this blog courtesy, Karen Armstrong's, The History of God"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home