Name:
Location: Arizona

Monday, December 04, 2006

Are intense emotions, like fear located in the mind or the body? It seems that you feel fear fist in your gut and then later you decide if it is fear or just gas. For example, if I see a lion, I don't think there is a lion, maybe I should run, I get the message or my legs get the message as does my gut. It is only later that my neocortex says," WOW! that was a lion." Does that mean that people who don't have normal body functions, say a quadriplegic, don't feel fear? Surely they do. But how do they react to it? How do they feel it if they can't feel?

3 Comments:

Blogger The Ancestress Hypothesis said...

Emotions are located both places, the brain and the body, and tied closely, I would guess, to both memory and genes that influence our hormonal system, etc.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's scientific reason for gut feelings: same neurotransmitters that are in the brain are in the gut! Thus, "go with the gut" etc. Fear an emotion not a feeling. Response to a stress is based on projection and/or an inner belief that has been taught or learned.

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yah, nothing like following gut feelings. That means we can kill at random and, at will, screw other men's wives, molest their children, and steal their property. One has to wonder how important moral systems are, as most moral systems work to restrict and restrain those pesty gut feelings.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home