Name:
Location: Arizona

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Some of us are proscriptive and some of us are descriptive. I see this in language a lot. There are those who refuse to accept changes in expression, grammar, etc. and "go ballistic'' when it happens. They are the ones, you know them, who are always correcting your spelling and grammar. The French even have an institution whose job it is is to protect the Language which may very well kill it in the end as it will become obsolete without new words. I have a friend who gives me a lecture if I use the expression, "an acre of land" as the word land is redundant. Doesn't matter that that is what everyone says, they are wrong. You can't say anxious when you mean eager either as that is the wrong usage. These are the proscriptive ones. The descriptive ones, like me, merely describe what is happening to language or culture and really don't judge it all that much. Things change and I am interested in how they change what will be the consequences of that change in the long run. For example will English be watered down so much by all the new words coming in that it will morph into something else? Will it be made stronger because of it? We have more words than any other language, they borrow from us. One of our major exports is words.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Ancestress Hypothesis said...

As you seem to imply, both are needed. We need rules to language and those who know the rules, just as we need people who know Robert's Rules of Order. When I was young I disliked both these groups. They were part of the wicked hierarchy that I hated in my youth and worse still they were a part of the hiearchy that was rigid and took away my freedom of expression. Now, of course, I see the use of these two parts of culture. Too many meetings can degenerate into petty fights without rules of order and language, without some breaks on it, would change fast and we would have a quick evolution into regional languages.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Anne Coe said...

It is the constant tension of both side that make language and culture work. When the proscribers get too powerful we have fascism. When the describers get too much stuff then we have anarchy. Which is sorta what we have now. The question I continually ask is why did it go bad for the proscribers and what can be done to get balance back?

6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home