Name:
Location: Arizona

Friday, May 26, 2006

All our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike - and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

-Albert Einstein

Is science the most precious thing we have? What about faith, art, government?? Now the question looms, am a woman of science or a woman of faith? Are those the only two possibilities? I like to think I am of both. I personally don't have a problem trusting in both. In fact, I find solace in both which is probably more to the point and more important. What do you trust? Hard science that can be tested and tested ad infinitum or that feeling deep in your gut that says no matter what they test there is still something else out there. Something they will never find and never be able to test. And that thing guides you and gets you through stuff you never thought you could get through. Is this temporal lobe delusion?

What I like about science.
l. I like it that the biggest thing we know, the cosmos is made up of the smallest thing we know, quarks.
2. I like that we are all made up of the same stuff and what made the stars made us. We are one with the cosmos.

What I don't like about science.
1. Once they got into quantum physics it ceased being elegant. I think we should have one fundamental particle from which everything is made and it should have an elegant name. And what is this about Up, Down, Charmed, Strange quarks? What were they smoking??

What I like about faith.
1. I like that it is such a subjective, personal thing that can get you through things that you had no idea you could get through.
2. I like thinking about God/The Cosmos/particle physics and seeing how they fit.

What I don't like about faith.
1. I don't particularly like religion. They seem to be faith based but they are really oligarchies that rule by guilt and fear. They are secret male societies. When faith seeks secular power it goes bad fast.

P.S. I forgot how to spell check on this so would someone please edit this?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isaac Newton, who set us on the path to modern science, wrote just before he died: "I don't know what I may seem to the world, but as to myself, I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me. Newton never fully detached God from his ideas of space and matter. Einstein's thinking buttressed and extended Newton's If the question then becomes what can explain god, or science for that matter, so that the most ordinary of us can understand, one answer may be art, particularly the telling of stories and the painting of paintings that depict those stories. But as to trust, I think that is a concept for children. To grow to be a well-functioning, social adult, they must be able to trust their parents. While they may question what their parents ask(and we are assuming that they are good parents, interesting in guiding, nurturing, and protecting their child), they are too naive, innocent (stupid might be a word we could use) to understand the WHY of what their parents ask. I have to admit this is a nice parallel to religion. It was only when psychology reared its stupid head, that we began the BS talk about religion being a patriarchy, trying to manipulate our behavior. Of course, religion tries to manipulate our behavior--that is its role. That is also the role of art, although artists try to deny that--art for art's sake--phooey. When those children become seriously skeptical of what their parents are attempting to do, then the parents can no longer play their role.

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home