Name:
Location: Arizona

Friday, October 14, 2005

Is there a god or a God? I don't know but as a philosopher friend of mine said once, when on trial for minor crimes, "I am obsessed with the question". If there is then how do we begin to define It? Certainly, the gruff but kindly father of our childhood,, with his constant nagging and list making, will no longer suffice, nor will all the varied experimental/conceptual gods of our hippy and perhaps drug induced youth. As mature adults our God must too be mature. Is there a god gene. Time magazine thinks God is hard wired into our brain. Of course, that doesn't mean there is one just that we have to create one. That leads to the overwhelming question, Why do we need a god? How has our survival depended on our continued insistence that there is one? Is God dead? Is God religion? or are god and religion mutually exclusive? God IS, we create religion to try and formulate and define god, which is fruitless and impossible. Anything great enough to be my god, has to be beyond my comprehension and certainly none of the gods being defined now fit that bill. If I can articulate god then it isn't. Poetry and art come closest to being successful and at least they are pleasing. Science does to but they aren't trying to which makes them the closest in my book.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't it Santa Claus who made the lists? And, the angel of Abu Ben Adam...

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posing a pretty profound puzzler. I prefer it over the previous ponderings. I'll think about this one.

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geode, read the comments for yesterday on how nice men are.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The questions are: Where was I before I was born? Why am I here? and Where will I go when I die? The answers are necessarily speculative. Each of us somehow comes up with a personal way of coping with the questions and gets on with life.

The question of god or God is also not a single question. Is there a creator of the universe? Does that creator talk to humans? Are the laws written by humans after talking with the creator really from the creator? Or is the universe without origin or end and without meaning, just beautiful and frightening and eternal?

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home